Depending on the US Embassy you apply from and the type of US visa, the photos required might be physical photos or digital photos. Physical photos mean that you have to print them and send them as part of the application, while digital photos can be attached online when you submit your Form DS-160 or Form DS-260.
US Visa Photo Requirements
Your US visa photo must be:
- Taken within the last 6 months.
- In color.
- With no shadows.
- Sized 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm).
- With a plain white background.
- You must face the camera in the photo.
- Have a neutral expression.
- Have both eyes open.
- You cannot wear a uniform. However, the clothes that they wear normally every day. Religious clothing that the person wears daily is allowed. The head must not be covered and the hairline has to be visible unless the person wears a headdress for religious purposes. The headdress must not cover the face.
- Without any worn electronic devices. Unless you need a hearing device or something similar.
- You must not wear eyeglasses except for medical reasons. If for example, the person has had an eye surgery lately, they need a statement from a doctor must be provided to justify them. If eyeglasses have to be worn, the frames must not cover the eyes and there must be no glare or shadows in the face from the glasses.
- Sized in a way that the head is between 1 and 1 3/8 inches (22 mm and 35 mm) or 50% and 69% of the image’s total height from the bottom of your chin to the top of the head.
- The photo must be square and 1200×1200 pixels.
- The photo must be in color such as the sRGB color space.
- The format of the photo must be in JPEG.
- The size of the photo must be less or equal to 240 kilobytes (kB).
- If your photo is bigger than that size, it can be compressed to a ratio of less than or equal to a 20:1 ratio.
- If you already have a physical photo which meets the physical photo requirements, you can scan it and make it as follows:
- The photo has to be in dimensions of 2×2 inches (51×51 mm).
- The resolution of the scanned photo must be 300 pixels per inch or 12 pixels per millimeter.
Nonimmigrant Visa Photo Requirements
In addition to the standard requirements, there are also requirements for the types of visas. Some of the requirements related to US nonimmigrant visa pictures include:
- Applicants using Form DS-160, might need to submit a digital photo which must meet the digital photo requirements.
- In addition to the digital photo, you might also have to submit 1 physical photo as per their requirements